5/12/2014

29 Weeks: Pregnancy Update



Happy Monday! I hope all you Mama's out there had an amazing Mother's Day! And I also hope you all had a great time showering your own Mother's with lots of love :)  I got my Mom some fun gardening tools and books on how to plant and take care of a vegetable garden. She has been wanting to plant her own vegetable and herb garden for so long now, so I thought this present would help kick start that project. I also topped off her present with the cutest gardening gloves by Gloveables (for a down and dirty present like gardening supplies I knew I had to throw something stylish in there).  

I am now officially 29 weeks pregnant and that 30 week mark is creeping up quickly, so I thought I'd share how everything is going and give an update on my pregnancy progression.

---

How far along: 29 weeks

Gender: Boy! 

Total Weight Gained: 16 lbs. 

Maternity Clothes: I was living in my pregnancy leggings and tanks- but with the arrival of warm weather, I've now been living in cotton/stretchy dresses that I already own or that I've bought in my pre-prego size so that I can wear them after! The great thing is that they keep stretching with my belly and they are beyond comfortable! 

Stretch Marks: Not yet- fingers crossed! I am religiously applying Basq lotion and oil every am and pm. 

How is having Type 1 Diabetes affecting pregnancy: Being pregnant with pre-existing Type 1 Diabetes has not been as difficult as I had feared- but that's not to say it's been the easiest road. I've had Diabetes for almost 19 years- and knowing that my hubby and I were going to begin trying to get pregnant a few months ago I made sure that my blood sugar numbers were well controlled. Having good control and smart eating habits before getting pregnant has definitely been beneficial for my pregnancy. Not only do I have to see my OB often, but I've had to raise my Diabetic Doctor visits from once every 6 months to once a month since finding out I was pregnant. A huge benefit and something I would recommend to any other Diabetics who are pregnant is to have a food/insulin diary. I try to diligently write down almost everything I eat and what my blood sugar numbers and insulin intake has been each day. It has really been important to take my finger poke as much as possible and to keep an eye on my blood sugar levels. Eating smaller meals more often has also been great in helping me control my Diabetes. So far my Doctor has said that I have not only been healthier than most Diabetics who are pregnant, but than the average pregnant woman. I have to say it hasn't been the easiest, and it's a lot of hard work, but knowing that taking care of my Diabetes is beneficial for my little one's well-being means the world to me and inspires me to do well with my health each and every day. 

Sleep: I've been waking up a couple of times at night- my OB says that it is totally normal because it is your body preparing itself to wake up to feed a newborn. In all honesty- I have been waking up about 2-3 times every night since becoming pregnant to take my finger poke (important for managing my blood sugar numbers) so it hasn't seemed all that weird. A prego must have- a body pillow! 

Miss Anything: SUSHI! WINE! MARGARITAS! SOFT CHEESES! I am definitely missing all my favorite foodie items. And HOT BATHS/JACUZZI'S!

Cravings: Pineapple- I literally go to the store and buy a whole pineapple each day to cut up and eat. It's a serious addiction. I also crave eggs and macaroni and cheese. 

Exercise: I try to go on walks a couple times a week, and I also like to swim. Swimming feels amazing on my pregnant body because despite gaining all of this added weight, I get to feel weightless in the water. Such a good feeling! I also try to do a Pregnancy Bar Method DVD at least once or twice a week as well.

Symptoms: Headaches have been pretty bad- they are very sporadic, but when they hit they are intense. I put a heat wrap on my neck and relax with my feet up. Also, by the end of the day, my back is very sore.

Belly Button in or out: In.

Mood: I think I've been pretty even keeled during my pregnancy. I'm sure my hubby is tired of me complaining at night about my back hurting- but other than that it really hasn't been too much of an emotional roller-coaster. I am just LOVING being pregnant. I still can't believe what my body is able to do- it's so magnificent and beautiful to me. But I still have a couple months to go- so we'll see if the emotions begin to go haywire! 

Looking forward to: My baby shower next weekend and finishing decorating the nursery! 

Being pregnant has been the most amazing gift- I feel so lucky to be able to carry this little life inside of me. I can not wait to meet our little man! As always- I greatly appreciate any advice from other Mom's or Mama's to be. Enjoy your week! 

2 comments: