6/16/2015

Recipe: Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup


Oh my GOSH it's been awhile since my last post! 

Let me start off by saying- it's a lot of work taking care of an 8-11 month old baby! Between that, moving, and finishing up a home remodel- I've been very busy. That being said, being a Mama to Luca has been the most rewarding, best thing I've ever done. I swear we wake up and he's grown and can do things he couldn't do the day before. It's amazing to watch. 

Now, to get back to my blog and posts! I thought a great way to say "I'm back" is with a post of the recipe of one of my favorite meals I think I've ever had! 

I am such a huge fan of Mexican food, but it can be heavy and let's face it, not very healthy at times. A couple of months ago my family and I went to Cabo, and I had some of the best tortilla soup of my life! The other day I was just craving some with chicken so that it would be a full meal, so I scoured all over Pinterest and finally found a recipe to my liking (TheSkinnyFork)! 

My husband and I made it together- I just love cooking with him. It also gets made twice as fast when two people are making it so if you're super hungry this is a bonus. It's a crockpot recipe (which made it super easy) and it was pretty inexpensive (score!). Below is the recipe we used plus our little changes. 

Hope you all enjoy! xo

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe:
Ingredients

Soup:
1 Lb. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (We used 3 breasts & sliced them, cooked them a little over half way on stove & then shredded them a bit using two forks)
10 Oz. Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies (Rotel) (We used 2 cans to make it chunkier)
14.5 Oz. Diced Tomatoes (No Salt Added), Un-drained
1 Cup Corn, Frozen & Thawed (We used 1 Canned Corn & it worked out really well)
14.5 Oz. Black Beans (No Salt Added), Drained & Rinsed (We used 2 cans to make it chunkier)
1 Medium White Onion, Diced
1-2 Jalapeno, Diced
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced (We used 4 cloves)
2-3 Cups Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth (We used 3-4 Cups)
1 Tsp. Ground Cumin
1 Tsp. Chili Powder (Be careful with this, the more you add the cipher it gets!)
1 Tsp. Salt
1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
Lime (Cut wedges to add to bowl of soup once finished- it's amazing)

Tortilla Strips: 
White Corn Tortillas (3-4) Cut into thin strips
Salt & Pepper to taste
Non Stick Cooking Spray
Taco Seasoning 

Optional Extras:
1 Avocado
Shredded Mexican Cheese
Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
Cilantro

Directions

Throw all the ingredients for the soup into the crock pot and stir. Put the lid on and cook on high for 4 hours. (It's that easy, I know!!)

Once the soup is almost finished, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the tortillas with non stick cooking spray and cut them into thin strips. Lay on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt & pepper. You can also dust a little taco seasoning on the strips. 

Place in oven for about 10-15 min or until crispy. 



Dish soup into bowl and add strips plus favorite toppings. 

Enjoy!  (Hint, if you make it too spicy, like we did, the sour cream and avocado definitely help in cooling it down). 


Also, don't forget to add the squeeze of lime to your bowl of soup. It really does make the dish! 





There you have it. Let me know what you think. 

So easy and SO delish! 


No comments:

Post a Comment